Monday, December 29, 2014

One Word Resolutions Linky

It's great to be back again, I'm CaseyJane from WigglingScholars

I am not much for resolutions.

Like many, I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure, making a to-do list, or cheating by choosing things I knew will be easy. A few years ago I came across a great idea to reduce your expectations and increase your success. I use a one-word resolution. That's right, all of the things I need to do can usually be summed up in one word

No SMART goals here! 
Measurable? Don't bother.
Timelines? Not a chance.

Just. one. word. 

If you think about it, you can only fix one thing at a time. A resolution should also command a bit of respect. It needs to be a big-something that will improve your life and the lives of those around you. But instead of deciding to take on a second language or lose whatever number of pounds, choose to change or improve one quality of yourself that has been neglected. 

For example, you might find yourself spending more time with TV than you'd prefer, you want to lose weight, and you would like to learn a few more healthy recipes. A good word might be: 'active'. The parent who introduced this to me said that she felt like she spent too much time wading through junk mail, responding to email, and talking about trivial things. Her word was 'intentional'. She wanted to be more intentional in her communication. One year, I chose the word 'measure'. I knew I was going to have a year of significant growth and I wanted to take the time to see how far I'd come as opposed to spend the year thinking about how much farther I needed to go. 

So for our purposes, I'd like you to think about your classroom, career, profession, or overall connection with education. Sure, your word is likely to have some overlap with personal goals, as it should. But I'm curious, what one word are you going to think about this coming year? How are you going to improve yourself? 

A quick tip, put this one word somewhere you will see it often and let it be your secret code to stay focused.



 Link up below! 
 1. Grab the button!.
2. Add it to your blog post. 
3. Stop back here and add your link. 

Have a great New Year!



For anyone new to linkys: 
1. Grab the button means to download the picture above. You'll open it and add a text box right on top of the picture. 
2. Add it to your blog post means that you write a post about the topic, insert the button with your words, and please consider linking to this post on Primary Powers (be sure to click the blog title and then copy the URL so you have the exact address of this post instead of just linking to the blog). 
3. Then come back to this post and click the inlinz button. It will prompt you on how to add your blog post (again, please add the specific link and not a generic link).


4 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea! Especially since I'm a goal oriented type of person!

    Fishing for Education - http://fishingforeducation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CaseyJane. Thanks for the nice linky. I gotta tell you, I really struggled to come up with a word... there were so many, and yet none captured what I needed. It finally came to me so I linked up late for the party. Your tip about keeping the word in a special place to see and remember is a good one which I'll do. See you around! Kathleen Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete