Sunday, January 25, 2015

Teaching Text Features

Hi! It's Heather from Second Grade Perks.



I posted about this on my own blog a couple of months ago and it was one of my most popular posts so I wanted to share it here with you today. When I covered text features this year I used this idea for some hands on action in my small groups. This is not something I created so I am not taking credit for it. Just wanted to share. 

I found this {FREEBIE} on TPT. I decided to make it into a mini booklet for each student. I changed the printer settings so it printed the pages four per page then copied them front to back.


We cut the pages apart and stapled to make our mini book. Then during small groups we dove into our science books and non fiction leveled readers to find examples of each one. The freebie has lots of text features. I just picked the ones that I needed to teach to include in our booklets.



The kids loved making these books. I also used this video I found {HERE}. It is the cutest little song to the SpongeBob tune. It also has this adorable mini poster to go with it. 



Hope this is something you can use. Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment