Friday, June 26, 2015

Close Reading Freebie





Hi everyone! It's Alexandria from Classroom Action with Ms. Jackson.  
I know it is summer, but I have been thinking of ways to help my students next year and decided to revisit close reading.  
I really want my students to dig deeper as they read text. 
Here are some helpful tips for the first, 
second, and third reads. 







During the first read students are getting an idea of what the text or passage is about.  I like to give a general overview before my students start reading.   The overview helps them build background and activate prior knowledge about the subject. During this read, students can tell what it is about, underline the main idea, and talk to a partner about the text.




During the second read students dig a bit deeper and try to understand the text a little more.  
Students read the text again, circle key words they may think are important, and determine the author's purpose.  I like to let my students talk with their shoulder partners about the text.  I usually circulate throughout the room to make sure my students are engaging in accountable talk about the topic.



 During the third read students usually have a good grasp of what the text is about.  I usually assign a task to them. Sometimes they answer questions, compare text, and relate it to their own life.  I also have the students write about the text. 


Students keep these bookmarks at their desk to help them work through the text.  I printed them on card stock and laminated them.  They last a long time and the students find them to be very 
helpful.







I hope this gave you a brief overview of close reading and how you can use it in your classroom.  You can pick up this FREEBIE by clicking here
Have fun using these easy strategies with your class!

No comments:

Post a Comment