Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Sarah K. {Permanently Primary}

Hey super friends!  Sarah Kirby here from Permanently Primary!


I'm not even joking when I tell you I get incredibly giddy about this blog.  These ladies are fabulous, their ideas are fabulous, and let's be honest...there are some FABULOUS freebies this month!  Can I get an amen?!?!

I want to take a minute to introduce myself to you!  I'm a first grade teacher in the heart of Ohio. I teach at a small, rural school.  We have one elementary, one middle school, and one high school.  All on the same campus.  I drive by all 3 buildings as I turn onto our drive.  Our students play next to a corn field.  If you don't believe me, check out my Instagram pic from a week ago (@sarahlynnkirby).  We seriously thought it was snowing, only to realize it was actually dust from the farmers plowing the field.  Talk about a letdown.  *Sigh*  Our building houses grades K-5 and we have a little over 600 students.  I teach 24 first graders this year, which is the largest class I've ever had.  This is my 7th year in the classroom, 8th year in the schools.  I've taught grades 1, 2, and 3 and was a kindergarten aide my first year.

I have my Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education and my Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction from The University of Mississippi (a.k.a. Ole Miss...Hotty Toddy, baby!).  Last year I received my K-12 Reading Endorsement from Ashland University.  I'm a member of the International Reading Association.  Last summer I presented a session at I Teach 1st! in Las Vegas.

I married my husband in 2009 and we now have two of the sweetest boys in the world.  Rowan is 3 and Sawyer just turned 1 last week!  Lights. Of. My. Life.



In my spare time I enjoy reading, studying the Bible, attending church activities, listening to sermon podcasts, serving in our community, selling Scentsy (let's be honest, I mainly do it to feed my craving of keeping my house smelling amazing), decorating my house, playing with my boys, shopping, and drinking tea and coffee.  I love to work out and push my body to the limit!  I have to be honest and tell you I am NOT on top of my game during the school year.  It's soooo hard to work out when school is in session because I get so dang tired.  Y'all...the struggle is real.


Superpower:  Does anyone else have a Type A personality?  What about OCD?  When I get an idea in my head, I have to implement it.  Like, now.  Stat.  Pronto.  There is no waiting.  Wait!?!?!  No.  Not an option.  Let's go.  For example, this year I decided to turn my classroom into more of a 21st century classroom.  3 weeks after school started.  The next day, my students walked in and their desks were gone, I bought a new rug and Christmas lights and the iPads were there and... (no wonder I can't sleep at night).

Superfood:  As I mentioned above, I try very hard to take care of myself.  Have you ever had Kind bars?  They are so delicious and oh-so-good for you!  And Spark by Advocare is my best friend.  Some call it super-mommy juice.  I call it help-me-keep-going-and-not-fall-asleep juice.  Whatever works.

Super Strength:  At the end of the day, it's all about family.  Work will still be there, the students will always need help with something, there will always be another paper to grade, a phone call to make, a lesson plan to write, a book to read, data to track, politicians to disagree with, but the one thing that remains is my faith in God and the energy and love that my family gives me and that I give them.  They are what matter the most to me.  They will be around the longest and they are my flesh and blood.  Before my children, school was my life.  Then I gained a new, fresh perspective.  May we all have something that grounds us in this life.  Don't let work swallow you up and cause you to forget that there is life outside of the walls of your workplace. :)

So how about a freebie?  I whipped up a little practice activity for pronouns!  It's a little sentence sort for your little sweethearts to practice learning when they can use certain pronouns.  You can grab it for free in my TPT shop!  I hope you enjoy!  :)  Have a fantastic week and hey...at least Monday is already gone! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment