Thursday, March 5, 2015

I Can Clouds

This has been a crazy week!!

I live in Southern California and we are usually lucky with wonderful weather and I know all my east coast friends are still having a ton of snow and probably don't want to hear me talk about how the sun is out today.... BUT can we talk about the weather on Tuesday?

It was weird....we had literally every type of weather in one day. Including snow....okay so it was really hail {or so they say} but looks pretty snowy.
My out of focus picture is a bit ghetto, but the LA Times did a much better job capturing it HERE! By the way that is our pier in the background.... as in YES, this is the BEACH!

There also was the most spectacular, HUGE rainbow I have ever seen on this same day!

Anyway, I thought this wacky week would be a good time to share my I Can Cloud project with you.

There are so many things to teach our little friends. An area that doesn't get as much press is personal development... you know things like phone number, address and birthday. I will say in my kinder class we don't spend too much time on teaching these skills in class- just a few various projects such as the Famous Family books which reinforce addresses. We also make a phone directory early in the year with our phone numbers. But to learn their address they need a little help from their family.

In the spring I like to make these "I Can Clouds" as way for my little ones to show off the skills that they know.  These clouds include the tricky personal development skills along with some other classroom skills.

I usually use the following strips in my I Can Clouds:

-say my birthdate 
-count to 100 
-spell my name
-say my phone number
-read the color words
-say my address
-tie my shoes

Sometimes I add skipping, galloping, letter names, sounds or really anything you want to document and celebrate. They could even be different goals for different kids.

Most kids typically start with between 3-5 strips. I try to have at least one time per week that I can reassess.

They are a big, fat hassle to hang, BUT once they are up they are colorful and make the room feel like spring! Plus, to add any additional strips is easy- just a quick step on a chair and I can reach.

I will leave these up until May and then send them home. When the kiddos take them I leave the fishing line attached so they can re-hang it at home. I also send home any strips they have not yet earned so they can add them to the cloud whenever they are ready.

You can find these in my Teachers Pay Teachers Store.... just click on the image below!
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment