Sunday, February 22, 2015

Black History Month : Harriet Tubman

Hello Everyone! It's Leslie from First Grade Frenzy! As Black History month comes to an end this week, I always like to focus on one of my favorite Black History Heroes ... Harriet Tubman. I found her story to be such a fascinating one. Her bravery and strength allowed her to escape slavery, and help so many more people to freedom, as well!

I usually introduce her story through one of my favorite picture book biographies. I love this book from Scholastic.. it's from their "My First Biography" series. The text is simple and illustrations are bright and beautiful.


I also like to use these two picture books, too!



I then create a timeline of some of the important events that happened in her life, with my students. It's a great way to see how much they were able to absorb from her biography ... fantastic for retelling and comprehension. Then, we create a class story about her life. We use simple sentences, and each student illustrates one of the pages in the class story. The final product is always a masterpiece....












I couldn't help myself  ... I had to share their beautiful illustrations!! They worked so hard!!
 You can grab your copy of the Harriet Tubman Class Story here:




1 comment:

  1. Those are great illustrations! I love the way they represented important events in Harriet Tubman's life!

    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete